UFO sighting on warship in the North Sea

Dannebrog (Danish flag) waving in the wind on the corvette Peter Tordenskiold
I had a UFO sighting on the warship I was stationed on back in 1994, while we were on an exercise somewhere out in the North Sea. As 25-year-old, I was voluntary military service in the Navy, and after elementary school of the Navy, I ended up in the officers fair at the 84 meter long corvet Peter Tordenskjold.
In this connection, I participated in an 11-day exercise in the North Sea and Skagarak, held from 11 to 22 September. Part of the exercise was devoted to submarine hunting, but in addition the corvet also had the task of firing a Sea Sparrow surface-to-air missile. Three days into the exercise we came into a storm that reached 28 meters per second and the wave height was measured to approximately 15 meters. It was my first real cruise with the ship and definitely an extraordinary mind-blowing experience I will never forget. Despite widespread sea sickness among the crew 4-5 days in a row due to the storm, everyone met their duties.

NATO warships in the North Sea
The North Sea is a part of the Atlantic Ocean and is located between Great Britain, Scandinavia, Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium, and France.

The submarine hunt started

When the storm had finally subsided 4-5 days into the exercise, we started looking for submarines and had been told, that if we saw something that could indicate a submarine, we should advise it to the officer in charge on the bridge. When I finished my job with the evening meal in the officers fair, most likely on September 16th 1994, I walked up on the upper deck around 8.00-8.30 pm and sat down on a bench few meters from portside entrance to the bridge. There I sat and relaxed with a cigarette and scouted out over the water, to see if I could spot a submarine. At that time there was almost dark, only a slight cut of sunlight in the horizon was left, which was slightly reflected on the sea level a good distance away.

Blue light shoots up from sea

North Sea UFO Animation
Suddenly, a dot of blue light shoots up from the sea about 2-3 km away in a precise vertical line and stops abruptly mid-air about 150-200 meters up (see animation above). As it stops, it lights up and now acts like a little sparkling star with a mix of blue and green color. The ascend of the blue dot went so fast, that I would think it happened in less than 1 second. Since we were already alerted that there were submarines out there and we should keep eye and report to the bridge if we saw something, I was obviously on the mark and counted the seconds from the moment the object stopped mid-air. I managed to count five seconds, and then the light went out like it was switched off, and I didn´t see it again that night.

Definitely not a distress signalling rocket?

Well, I was not fully aware of what I had just seen, definitely not aware of a UFO sighting, because I automatically assumed my observation was related to the submarine hunt, maybe some kind of signalling rocket that was fired from a submarine? But we had not learned anything about other signal rockets, than the red distress signalling rocket, which is a parachute rocket with red flare you may use when you need to be rescued at sea.


After the observation, I informed the duty officer on the bridge what I had seen. I remember he asked me three times in a row if I was colorblind, which I rejected all three times and held on the blue and blue-green color I had seen. Then we found the direction of the compass where I had seen the object shoot up from the ocean. After that, the officer returned to the bridge and I sat back on the bench again 5-10 minutes more before going down to the cabin. While I sat there, the ship began to turn in the direction of there where the blue-green star ascended.

Not aware of my UFO sighting

Not at any time, during and after the observation, or while speaking with the officer, I felt something strange about the situation. I just assumed that it was a kind of signalling rocket fired from a submarine in relation to the exercise that was going on. It was first several years after then I thought about the incident that it dawned on me, that it was strange this light could rise so fast and stop abruptly mid-air? And also that it was NOT floating with the wind at all, it was dead on in it´s position all 5 seconds before the light disappeared. So, in many years I was unaware, that my observation was a UFO sighting.

UFO photography complete list


UFO sighting on warship in the North Sea UFO sighting on warship in the North Sea Reviewed by Brian Jørgensen on August 11, 2017 Rating: 5

No comments: